Three Day Kindergarten
Since August 2017, we have been offering a 3 Day Kindergarten (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 8:30am-2:00pm). The 3-Day K is open to anyone who has reached their 5th birthday by September 1st.
Our kindergarten program moves rapidly through various subjects for a short time each morning. In this way, children are able to engage at the rate of their attention span maximizing both learning and love for learning. The rest of our day is spent in intentional forms of play and exploring. Below is a list of attainments for a kindergartner that guide our 3-Day K curriculum.
List of Attainments
1. to recite 6 easy poems and hymns
2. to recite a parable and a psalm
3. to add and subtract numbers up to 10, with dominoes or counters
4. to read (what and how much, will be different for each child)
5. to copy in print-hand from a book
6. to know the points of the compass with relation to their own home, where the sun rises and sets, and the way the wind blows
7. to describe the boundaries of their own home
8. to describe any lake, river, pond, island etc. within easy reach
9. to tell quite accurately (however shortly) 3 stories from Bible history, 3 from early American history, and 3 from the history of the ancient world
10. to be able to describe 3 walks and 3 views
11. to mount in a scrap book a dozen common wildflowers, with leaves (one every week); to name these, describe them in their own words, and say where they found them.
12. to do the same with leaves and flowers of 6 trees or native plants
13. to know 6 birds by song, color and shape
14. to send in certain Kindergarten or other handiwork, as directed
15. to tell three stories about their own “pets” – rabbit, dog or cat.
16. to name 20 common objects in Spanish, and say a dozen little sentences
17. to sing one hymn, one Spanish song, and one American folk song
18. to keep a caterpillar and tell the life-story of a butterfly from his own observations.